The pandemic brought plenty of changes to our lives–some we’d prefer never to revisit and others that have led to innovative new ways of living.
Virtual dentist visits–or teledentistry–is one such revolution. While not entirely new, teledentistry gained traction along with COVID-19 restrictions and has since proven a successful way for patients to connect with their dentist in specific situations.
Virtual visits allow you and your family to access dental care quickly and from nearly anywhere. Teledentistry won’t replace in-person visits for regular cleanings, exams, and procedures, but it can be a great option if you have a dental emergency or questions following a procedure. Here are a few things to know:
What can I book a virtual dentist appointment for?
- Possible cavity. The pandemic caused many people to delay dental visits and ignore signs of a cavity. A virtual visit now can prevent a costly and more uncomfortable trip later to the oral surgeon.
- Invisalign consults. Considering a cosmetic option for straightening your teeth but not sure if it’s for you? Scheduling a virtual consult with your dentist is a perfect place to start.
- Emergency questions. Sometimes a patient needs immediate relief from a dental issue outside of office hours–a virtual visit allows a dentist to assess the emergency and possibly prescribe medication quickly, before the patient can be seen in the office.
- Post-procedure care. If you’ve recently had a dental procedure like a root canal, extraction, or dental implant, teledentistry may be an option for your post-operative care. An easy virtual follow-up appointment can ensure you’re healing properly and allow you to ask your dentist questions you may not have considered during your initial visit.
What are some benefits to teledentistry?
Besides providing a flexible alternative to some types of in-office visit, virtual visits:
- Give patients with dental anxiety the chance to schedule a remote consultation for a first visit. This allows a nervous patient to get to know a practice’s team, plan for sedation dentistry if necessary, and receive care outside of the clinical environment of a dental office.
- Save patients gas, time off from work, and commuting time, which can be a big deal for anyone working in service industries where paid-time-off is limited.
How do I schedule a teledentistry appointment?
At Loudoun Smile Center, scheduling a virtual visit is simple. Simply click here or book an appointment over the phone by calling (703) 297-4407. Prior to your appointment, you can send us any picture or videos of symptoms you may be experiencing.
What does a typical teledentistry appointment look like?
On the day of your appointment….We will send you the link you need to connect with your doctor. You can use your desktop, laptop, tablet or even smartphone to complete this visit. At the end of the visit, your dentist will determine if you need to come to the office for an in-person examination or treatment.
Are virtual visits covered by my dental insurance?
Most dental insurance companies are covering virtual dental consultations. There is no charge for patients with no dental insurance.
If you’re unsure about teledentistry but think it could be a good fit for you or your family, we encourage you to try it –your first virtual dental visit is free at Loudoun Smile Center! Call us today to learn more.