Posted on Mar 14, 2017 10:56am CDT
Did you know that the types of foods you eat can play a role in the health of your teeth and gums? Well, this is absolutely true! If a beautiful smile is high atop your list of priorities, try following the tooth-friendly diet. Here are some of the foods that are recommended for strong, healthy and pearly white teeth, recommended by our dentist in Ashburn, VA.
- Cheeses: Calcium strengthens and protects bone matter and your teeth are considered bones, which is why you may want to start munching on cheese. Basically, any cheese made with milk will do, including asiago, blue cheese, Swiss cheese, brie, gouda and so many more.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is another food that is loaded with calcium. As with cheese, there are also lots of different types of yogurts to choose from. Greek yogurt is always a fave and the popularity of goat’s milk yogurt is on the rise.
- Phosphorous: Proteins that are high in phosphorous, such as meat, fish, and tofu, have been shown to improve the condition of teeth. This is because phosphor is essential for rebuilding and protecting tooth enamel.
- Leafy Greens: Broccoli, kale, okra, collards, bok choy and most other leafy greens are boasting with minerals that are known to fortify the teeth. Crunchy veggies, such as carrots and celery, are also teeth-friendly because they do a good job of scrubbing away plaque.
- Apples: The majority of fruits, especially citrus fruits, are believed to breakdown tooth enamel but apples are actually good for your teeth. Since they are fibrous, apples have the ability to help scrub plaque from the surface and refresh the breath.
Not many people stay conscious of what they eat and how those foods may affect the health of their teeth. Incorporate the above foods into your diet to make sure your teeth are naturally the healthiest and strongest they can be! Give our dentist in Ashburn, VA, and Loudoun Smile Center a call today to learn more about keeping your smile bright and to schedule your comfortable and convenient appointment.